May 1, 2009

Adams 12 and Swine Flu

Yesterday Lyndall brought home a paper from the school saying that, so far to their knowledge nobody in the Adams 12 School District has been tested positive for the swine flu. However they are sending kids home immediately that have any signs of illness and they are not to return to school for 24 hours. I thought that to be crazy, how do you know whether it is a cold, flu, or just allergies? It is that time of year now where people get allergies. I hope they are at least taking their temperature and what not first. If my kid gets sent home for a sneeze, when I know that he is not sick I'll be livid. On top of that the school made automatic calls to every parent in the school district saying exactly what the letter had said to try and make sure that everyone does receive the message.
I do realize that the schools are only taking very good precautions, I just hope they use their judgement well. Lyndall's class had 11 kids absent yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. I think that is crazy! I read that the swine flu is no more dangerous than anyother flu. If they don't normally send kids home, why start now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is freaking out and I don't think they even know why. I read about the swine flu that happened in 1918 and how it infected 500 million people and killed 50 million, only 675,000 in the US. However that was back in 1918 when mediation sucked and people died from scarlet fever, so who knows. I think it is best to just take precautions and stay away from people who are sick (as always) and keep things sanitary for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adams 12 is one of the last school districts in the greater Denver area to send home the letters. I had lot of students absent today, too. Horizon isn't sending kids home for coughs, sneezes, and so on unless they have a fever though. Heck, I'm sick but I don't have a fever so I've been at school all week. I think the issue with the "swine" flu is the high number of deaths in Mexico but they are also far less sanitary there. I also think a reason people are freaking out is because there is no vaccine for it yet. With all of the media though, the schools have to cover their butts.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics